Saturday, March 11, 2006

Gun Pr0n: Celebrating the End of the Assault Weapons Ban

Back in September of 2004 I, like many other gun owners, celebrated the end of the Assault Weapons ban. It was by far the stupidest gun control law on the books, one that banned guns because they looked menacing, not because they were more deadly or preferred by criminals. In what will go down in history as one of the most sensible government decisions of all time, the law was allowed to expire 10 years after it was enacted.

At the time, I made a promise to myself I would mark the occasion by converting one of my semi-auto Rugers into an Eeeevil Assault Weapon. Unfortunately, back then I was preparing to move into a new house and we were expecting another child, so money was tight. In addition, manufacturers had not starting producing the Forbidden Folding Pistol-Grip Stocks.

Well, my ship finally came in last week and I received a new plastic Butler Creek folding stock for my 10/22. At last I could stick a figurative finger in the eye of Dianne Feinstein by legally converting my innocent, family-friendly 10/22 into a dark, sinister Black Rifle.


Here is my 10/22 as I bought her some 13 years ago. The only thing I've added is an old Weaver 4X scope. She's been a wonderful rifle and provided many hours of fun at the range.


In the months leading up the enactment of the ban in 1994, I participated in the panic buying of prohibited accessories and hi-cap magazines. I bought this slip-on flash suppressor shortly after I bought my 10/22, intending to add a pistol-grip stock and thus make it a legal "pre-ban" rifle. But since everyone else was doing the same thing, pistol-grip stocks were scarce as hen's teeth in the summer of 1994 and I wasn't able to complete the conversion.


Here is how she looks now, with the stock and flash suppressor installed and a 25-round magazine to boot.


Here's another view, with the stock unfolded. I haven't fired her yet, but she feels good on the shoulder and is easier to grip. I'll have to post a range report when I try her out.

1 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The late great Johnny Carson once dreamt that a group of sea lions were on the beach chanting 'vote for Feinstein'. He woke up and said "You picked a Feinstein to lead me, you seals".

Show the seals your tricked-out Ruger, and let them know they can have Diane back now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home