Friday, October 22, 2004

On this day in military history....in 1962

On this day in military history....in 1962. President John F. Kennedy, in a televised speech, announces to the United States that U-2 spyplanes eight days previously had found Soviet missile bases in Cuba. In response, President Kennedy orders the naval quarantine of Cuba, thereby precipitating the Cuban Missile Crisis. The crisis lasted until 28 October when the Soviet Premier, Nikita Khrushchev announced that the Soviet government would dismantle and remove all missiles from Cuba.

The reason that Khrushchev "blinked" was that the US was ready, willing and able to go "nuke" over the missiles in Cuba. However, if the US had a president at that time a bit more like Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush and a little less like Jimmy Carter, there would have been no crisis as the Soviets would know without a doubt what the US response would have been. Since John "The War Hero" Kerry is more in the mold of Jimmy Carter than Ronald Reagan, I can just imagine what "crisises" would develop if, by some stretch of bad luck, he was elected president.

4 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me for commenting, perhaps you aren't really looking for responses. (I replied to you post about 2 weeks ago or so...much of what you say is very interesting!) BUT....it would seem you're very anti-Kerry, which I assume would mean you're very pro-Bush. I'm taking a lot for granted, but doesn't it bother you, simply on principle alone, to have such a biased view where you can see no wrong with one candidate and no right in another? I'm not saying I support either, but Bush hasn't done a superb job by any means. Again, forgive me for even commenting, you may not be looking for comments. I do enjoy your history posts, but find some of your one-sided political jabs hard to take some times.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger The Great El-ahrairah said...

I welcome any and all comments. As for being one-sided, I will agree that President Bush has not done everything that I would have wanted (the only candidate that I would have agreed with 100% would have been myself), but on the important questions of terrorism, Iraq, abortion, gay marriage, taxes, etc., President Bush has done what I would have done myself. If the President was running against someone else, say Zell Miller or even Joe Lieberman, I would have been much less one-sided, but John Kerry's positions are so different from my own, anything that I may agree with him on are trivial compared to the things that I disagree with.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you seem very well grounded...more so in the comments you made above than some of your posts. I wouldn't have guessed. And as for being opinionated, well....who isn't? (Besides spine-less Kerry?) I enjoy your posts.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger The Great El-ahrairah said...

Yes, I admit that some of what I write doesn't always come out the way that I want. I know what I want to say, but getting the right words on paper is the hard part. It seems to me that blogging well is an acquired talent that some people have (like my brother, the Cap'n) and some need to work on (like myself). I guess I like doing the "On this day in military history" because it's mostly just facts and I can add my comments easily without being too wordy. Thanks for your feedback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home