Thursday, September 16, 2004

I don't know whether to be shocked or fire up the VCR

In case nobody knows, the real-live Miss America Pageant (and not the film) is going on this week in Atlantic City, New Jersey. And like every previous year, there is controversy surrounding the pageant. What could it be this year? Poor judging? Nude photos? Overweight contestants? No, this year it is the swimsuits or lack thereof that is causing all the controversy.

Like most men, I don't regularly set up my television schedule around the Miss America pageant. Why? Even though it has a swimsuit competition, the pagent doesn't dwell on it too long for the viewing audience, prefering instead to bore us to tears with the (lack of) "talent" competion (how many times will someone sing the theme from the "Man of La Mancha") and the always fun, "spot the airhead" interview competion ("...and world peace"). The pagent has been losing audience steadily over the years, so this year, Speedo, the company who supplies the swimsuits for the pageant, decided to "spice things up a bit" and provide the following swimsuits (here, here and here) for the contestants. Yes, Cap'n, that is Miss Utah and whatever the reason for showing her in a bikini has to do with winning a "talent" competition I have no idea, but hey, who cares?

Anyway, I don't know whether I should be shocked or fire up the VCR. Maybe I should ask the Great Oprah. She'll know what I should do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home