Friday, June 18, 2004

There's just no pleasing some people

Let's see. Since November, there have been above-average levels of precipitation at most places in Northern Utah. So far this June, about 1.5 inches of rain has fallen in Salt Lake City; the normal total for the entire month is 0.75 inches. This year is on track to be the first year since 1998 with a "normal" precipitation total. The dry spell is clearly coming to an end, as it always has throughout recorded history.

So why do we continue to hear croakings and wailings of doom and gloom?

Yes, yes, I understand the complexities of snowpack melt and reservoir storage and soil moisture levels. But doesn't the fact that the weather pattern has been wetter than normal for the past 8 months count for something? Don't water managers realize if they cry "drought" too often, people will just stop listening?

I suspect part of the reason why is they have grown accustomed to their Cassandra status, and secretly enjoy it. The drought gave them a convenient cudgel to bash suburbanites for their green lawns and lush gardens, something they always wanted to do, but were unable to credibly do during wet years. Now that the rains are coming, they just can't give it up. Pessimism has become the standard.

1 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been wondering the same thing. I live in Draper, UT and this the wettest year in quite awhile, and yet I keep hearing about drought.

I don't get it and can't find anyone to explain it to me.

Oh well. I guess I'll just keep mowing my lush green lawn and leave all the thinkin' to me betters.

Russell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home