Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Justice, PC-style

The case of Duke Lacrosse Racist Rapists gets curiouser and curiouser.

Other than a snarky comment over at Bigwigs' place, I haven't said much about the case. I have my suspicions, but I'll mostly keep my mouth shut until the trial is over.

On the one hand, as a former high-school nerd I am fully aware of the fact that "student-athletes" in general are insufferable, obnoxious, pampered, immature, stupid pricks. And those are the good ones. The bad ones are rapists, burlars, robbers, thieves, and in some cases, murderers. So it doesn't take much to convince me that at the very least the Dukies -- especially the ones from exclusive private schools and rich neighborhoods -- would be capable of such an act.

However, on the other hand, the political and racial angle to this story is too great to ignore. DA Nifong's obvious political motivations are troubling, to say the least. It looks as if he's going to prosecute anyone, guilty or not, just to win re-election. That would be bad enough, but he's not even trying to look objective. It's all about winning, as the "student-athletes" would say.

If the accused players are determined to be innocent (and I will confess that I really don't know) then Mr. Nifong should be subject to severe penalties. I would hope it comes from the voters this fall. But failing that, he should be officially reprimanded and if possible, disbarred. From what I've seen, his handling of this case has been disgusting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home