Sunday, October 09, 2005

I can't disagree with this

The liberal MainStreamMedia are all squealing with delight over President Bush's inexplicable choice of Harriet Miers as Supreme Court Justice. They point out that Bush has alienated his conservative base and that might bode ill for the Republican Party in the next election.

They're correct, of course. As a conservative, I've about had it with the Bush Administration. I have been a loyal supporter of President Bush for years now, largely because of his leadership in the War on Terror and his tax cuts. But in everything else, he has been a huge disappointment. The Miers nomination has pretty much destroyed whatever loyalty I had to the White House. It would serve them right if the GOP lost control of the Congress next year.

Nevertheless, as bad as the Republicans are, the Democrats are worse. While the MSM and liberals salivate over the Republicans troubles, they still have yet to figure out that they are even less popular. Indeed, the recent indictment of Tom DeLay is the worst thing for the Democrats because it maintains their delusion that they don't have to do anything to win next year. All they have to do is show up, and people will vote them in.

Hardly. From gun control to taxes, from the War on Terror to abortion, the Democrats are on the wrong side of every major hot-button issue. There is no "winning issue" they can run on that will inspire the majority of American voters. They can only hope that enough conservatives sit on their hands next year to allow their candidates to win. That's not a winning strategy.

1 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger The Great El-ahrairah said...

I'm still out on the Miers nomination. I'm waiting for the hearings to take place to see just who she is. From what I have read, she is an evangelical christian (against abortion, against gay marriage, etc.) which I thought would have sent the liberals into shock, but up to now, nobody has really brought that up......so, until the senate gets their chance to do their grandstanding masquerading as nomination hearings, I'll wait to make up my mind. And anyway, I think it's good to have someone on the court that isn't a judge. I, the Great El-ahrairah, think I would be a great Supreme Court judge. Of course, nobody would vote for me, but it would be cool to actually ask lawyers and judges just where in the Constitution it states that women have a right to kill their unborn babies and gays think they have a right to marry each other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home