Thursday, June 30, 2005

Shelby Foote, RIP

I didn't realize it, but it's been over a week since I last blogged. And I can't let this event go without comment.

Like the overwhelming majority of Americans, I was mesmerized by Ken Burn's "Civil War" series. Part of the greatness of the production is the historical narrative and detail provided by Shelby Foote. After seeing the series when it first came out, I decided I needed to buy Mr. Foote's historical tome "The Civil War". My wife obliged, and I got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. I devoured it within 3 months.

Shelby Foote's work will forever be the quintessential history of the Civil War. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do so. It should be required reading in every high school American history class. For that matter, it should be required reading for every American.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home