Thursday, September 09, 2004

Enjoy your temporary security, Bushmaster

Bushmaster firearms, the manufacturer of the AR-15, caved in and settled a lawsuit filed by the families of the Washington, DC sniper victims. Their web page has two memos outlining how this really isn't a loss and how they haven't admitted to any liability.

Yeah, whatever.

For the record, I like Bushmaster firearms. In my second stint in the Marines, I carried a Bushmaster-made M-16. The Light Armored Vehicles (LAV's) that I rode around in were equipped with a 25 mm automatic cannon made by Bushmaster. I bought aftermarket parts from them for both my Mini-14 and my 10/22. Before I had four kids, it was a goal to someday purchase a Bushmaster AR-15 with an Eeevil flash suppressor and bayonet lug (after the AW ban expired, of course). They're a good American company that makes good guns.

But they're fooling themselves if they think that this will get the anti-gunners off their backs. Yeah, yeah, I understand all the legal mumbo-jumbo involved in court settlements. But the lawyers will be back for more. And more. And more. Because they know that Bushmaster will pony up the money instead of fighting for its freedom.

Enjoy your temporary security, Bushmaster. It won't last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home