Tuesday, July 20, 2004

This is simply unbelievable

I heard about this yesterday.  I am simply speechless.  The callousness, the craven materialism, the self-serving attitude of this woman is utterly incomprehensible.  Others have provided some great comments, however.
 
It is not hyperbole to call this woman a Nazi.  Her disregard for the lives of her children is sickening.  And her spineless wimp of a boyfriend is even more disgusting.
 
For all those who say "Don't judge her until you walk a mile in her shoes", I say fuck you.  I have walked a mile in her shoes, and I'm still walking.
 
I am a mid-level government scientist.  My wife is a stay-at-home mother.  This woman and her boyfriend probably make 3 to 4 times the money I make.  Not only that, but I have three children, ages 14, 5, and 3.  At the time they made their "decision", this couple had none.
 
About 5 months ago, my wife and I were quite surprised (and very dismayed) to find out that we are going to have yet another daughter.  This was probably the worst thing that could have happened to us, financially speaking.  Because I changed positions last year and no longer get a travel allowance, I ended up taking a $150/month pay cut at my job.  We were still able to make ends meet, but it was tight.  We refinanced our small but comfortable 1800 sq. ft. house at a great rate, and I was actively planning to retire in about 14 to 15 years when the house was paid off.
 
Now we have to move to a larger house to accomodate our new child.  I am already looking for a better paying job, or a part-time job to help make ends meet.  Our decade-old cars will not be replaced for at least another three years.  I will probably have to work for another 18 to 20 years before I can retire.  There will be no big vacation next year.  Christmas this year will be tight.
 
However, even with the tight budget, even with the new sacrifices, even with the disruption to our future plans, we never even considered killing this baby.  Never.
 
And, come to think of it, only our first child was "planned" and "expected".  Our second was planned but unexpected; the last two have been both unplanned and unexpected.  But there was never any question as to whether or not we would have any of them.  They are my children.  And had some doctor shown me their heartbeats and then suggested injecting concentrated potassium chloride into their hearts,  I would have seriously considered shooting him.
 
I do not consider myself to be a militant pro-lifer.  I believe that there are situations when abortion is justifiable; namely, in cases of rape, incest, or threat to the life of the mother.  None of these were present in this case.  It was a killing of convenience, pure and simple.
 
Some may criticize me as extreme for failing to consider abortions in case of grave fetal deformity.  Once again, I've been there, done that.  My second daughter was diagnosed at high risk for Down's Syndrome, due to high alpha fetal protein levels.  My wife had to go in for an in-depth ultrasound examination to detect any physical defects.  Thankfully, there were none, and she was born healthy.  Yet even as we waited for the examination to begin, we decided that no matter what, this baby would be born.  We were not going to kill our daughter just to spare us the difficulty of raising a child with Down's Syndrome.
 
I do not wish to sound alarmist, but I seriously begin to wonder whether our society can survive such depraved attitudes such as those displayed by this "feminist".  It is one thing to have legal abortions for cases of extreme necessity; it is another altogether to have legal abortions to spare upper-class Manhattanites the embarrassment of shopping at Costco.

1 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger The Great El-ahrairah said...

I think it was the Great Communicator, Ronald Reagan who said something to the effect that only those who favor abortion are already born.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home