Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

A picture of Old Glory in front of our house. This flag was flown over the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor.

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Memorial Day has always been a significant holiday in our family, but even more so this year with the recent death of my father. Dad was a patriot and would fly the flag on every holiday.

When I was a kid we went to visit family graves in Idaho and Utah. It was kind of a ritual; we'd drive up to Idaho on Friday night, visit my uncles, decorate the graves, and then drive back on Memorial Day. We'd go see my mother's side of the family the next weekend. Even back then I knew where all my ancestors were buried.

As my brother and I got older, the tradition stopped. Today we are going to start it up again. My father is now among the dead of our family. He would appreciate the visit.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

I'm sorry to hear to hear about your Father. I'll bet he was really a special man. He must have been. Look at you. You are his reflection, and I'd say that's pretty darn good. Happy Memorial Day.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Captain Holly said...

Thank you. That is very kind of you to say that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home