Wednesday, August 10, 2005

New NHL Rules

While skimming the NHL news, I stumbled onto this report that described very briefly the new NHL rule changes. In a nutshell, no more red line, two-line passes allowed under certain circumstances (probably during a power-play) and shoot-outs to resolve ties. Um, it looks the NHL has decided that the hard-checking, "clutch and grab" style of hockey played in North America is too boring and they want to move more towards the European (read "Swedish") "skate 'n' score" style. I don't know about the Cap'n, but I kind of like watching the "Gordie Howe/Dale Hunter/Tiger Williams/Broadstreet Bullies style of hockey, but until I see how this plays out, I will reserve my judgement. At least the NHL is trying to address the play of the game to make things more interesting. Now if we could only get soccer to get rid of offsides and football to get rid of holding, off sides, pass interference, etc, etc, etc.........