Friday, February 18, 2005

Maybe next year......or maybe not

Many years ago, football and basketball were my favorite sports. But, when the Cap'n came back from Canada, he got me hooked on hockey and I've been a hockey fan every since. When I was single, I went to many of the Salt Lake Golden Eagles games in the old Salt Palace, but when I got married, I wasn't able to go to as many (lack of money and time). But, when I'm in the US, I like to take my son and heir, the evil Sith lord, Lord Weggie, to see a game. Here in Italy, there isn't a whole lot of hockey going on, so I haven't been following it much. On Wednesday, the NHL decided to cancel the 2004-2005 season due to labor problems. The owners wanted a salary cap like the NFL, NBA and MLB and the players didn't. They did offer a 24% pay cut, but still held out against the salary cap. The Cap'n might think differently, but personally, I support the owners' position. Whether that means that cancelling the season was the right thing to do, only time wil tell, but like every other sport with high-paid spoiled athletes, I thought that what they were saying was just a bunch of whining. Anyway, now with no NHL season, maybe the US will be able to field a decent team for the World Championships this year.

Update: Just like something out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("I'm not dead yet!"), it looks like the reports of the NHL demise were premature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home