Thursday, February 03, 2005

Can't they do any better than this?

A Utah lawmaker has introduced a bill that would allow law-abiding citizens to carry a loaded gun in their cars without a permit.

Some of the responses from the anti-gun crowd have been downright idiotic. (Since Pravda of Utah colmunist Holly Mullen won't disclose her bias, I will: She is married to Utah Democrat Party activist and former SLC mayor Ted Wilson. Ed: But there's no such thing as liberal influence in the Media, and you're a Reactionary White Male Homophobe for even suggesting it. CH: Sorry. Do I have to go to re-education camp now?).

The basic gist of the arguments against it is that allowing persons to carry loaded guns in their cars WILL RESULT IN THOUSANDS OF DEATHS DUE TO WILD SHOOTOUTS DURING RUSH HOUR!! CHILDREN WILL DIE BY THE BUSHEL!! EVERY ACCIDENT WILL END UP LIKE THE OK CORRAL!! YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO...well, you get the picture.

Oh, puh-LEEZE! I have heard all this before, about 10 years ago when the Legislature liberalized Utah's concealed carry law. At the time, there were roughly 3,000 permittees throughout the state, mostly well-connected types such as anti-gun defense attorney Ron Yengich (known locally as "the poor man's William Kuntsler") and several politicians. A legislative analysis revealed that as many as (gasp) 10,000 Utahns would obtain the new permits if the bill passed.

This potential three-fold increase in the number of permits was greeted with horror by the gun controllers and police. Why, there'd be mayhem and death if the commoners were allowed to carry! Only "good" people whom the police had first screened and approved were wise enough to carry a deadly gun. If the concealed carry law passed, well, the police couldn't be held responsible for the inevitable, gory results.

Today there are more than 60,000 permittees, and there have been very few, if any, shootouts or road rage incidents connected to them. In fact, they've been quite responsible. And as the number grows, the absurdity of the arguments against allowing citizens to carry without a permit increases. Vermont and Alaska allow loaded guns without a permit. Where are all the road rage incidents in those states?

In my experience, if you give people greater freedom, 99% of them will use it wisely. The remaining 1% are either so malicious or stupid that they will abuse it anyway, regardless of what the law says.

Can't the anti-gunners come up with something new once in a while?


At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. They cannot. Ya see, that would require a thought process.


Post a Comment

<< Home