Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Backlash is still on hold

Thanks to judges who understand the Constitution (or are at least politically savvy enough to accurately gauge public sentiment) the massive anti-gay backlash I have consistently predicted is still on hold.

Captain Holly has always asserted that the issue of Gay Marriage will be the Lavender Lobby's (and possibly the Democrat Party's) political Waterloo. Aside from the Lamda Legal Foundation, few pundits think that using the courts to force a controversial redefinition of marriage on a reluctant public is a good idea. Yet the gay lawyers press ahead, confident that a sympathetic judge will rule in their favor and solve the issue once and for all.

If or when that does happen, it will be victory similar to the Japanese victory at Pearl Harbor. In case you have forgotten, the Japanese decimated the US Pacific battle fleet at the cost of approximately 30 aircraft and 60 men. Tactically, it was one of the most one-sided victories in history. Strategically, it was the beginning of the end for the Japanese. In less than 4 years, Japan would lie in ruins, crushed by the overwhelming might of an outraged America. Japanese Naval commandant Isoruku Yamamoto recognized this from the beginning. When told of the victory, he stated "I fear all that we have done is awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

The anti-gay backlash is still on hold. All it will take to trigger it will be a federal judge overturning the Defense of Marriage Act. Considering that a 4-3 state Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage in Massachusetts was the main reason voters in 13 other states overwhelmingly approved anti-gay marriage amendments, the reaction to a decision that overturns the DOMA will be spectacular, indeed.

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

I do agree. That will be a very "big" day for each side. It is sad that ppl have to find ways to divide Americans. I, personally, am against homosexual marriage, but I am no one's god. In 1977, I walked into a female who was actually a man. I know this exists. They can be just as kind as anyone, and as terrible too. For the sake of a civil society, just keep it to yourself. After all, I keep my nonexistent love life to myself! Hehehe. Not until I'm married!!!

What about football? I love fishing. I went with my father everywhere fishing. My brother played football, so we went to all the games. Well, I hope you have a wonderful day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home